What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. flava natural distribution

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Hi all. i have been researching CPs native to coastal Maryland and am very confused by S. flava. Most sources state that they are native from Virginia southward. Some state that they are native from Virginia southward and in New Jersey. others state thyat they are native form Florida northward to New Jersey.
Any idea which, if any of these are correct?

Phil Sheridan (Meadowview) has studied this extensively and iirc, has the info on his site. If S. flava was in MD, it is now extirpated there. There are still a handful of sites in VA - but none above that.

Hi Ron and Chibae:

Please refer to our AJB S. flava inbreeding paper in the research link of our web site at www.pitcherplant.org. That paper includes the natural range of S. flava. Sarracenia flava naturally reached its northern limit in Virginia. We're now down to one population of about 100 plants.

Sarracenia flava had been planted in several bogs in Maryland, New Jersey, and a few other northen states. However, these are not native populations.

Sincerely,

Phil Sheridan, Ph.D.
Director
Meadowview Biological
Research Station

Dang, i had read that Phil and was a little let down, but hey, i bounce back easily. And I do love my purps

Back