What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. purpurea ssp. purpurea

I got this plants in a trade , I here it like cold temperarures and i checked books to see but it does not sya much , so can this s. purpurea live in the same conditiions as ssp. venosa or does it have to live in a climate like darlingtonia and have long dormancy's

More like Darlingtonia. Just type up the name on a search engine and you should find the information.

S. purpurea ssp. purpurea is found in Ohio. Its one of the plants I took photos of on my bog trips. It is much more cold tollerant that S. purpurea ssp. venosa, which is the southern cousin.

Temps can get below 0°F here in Ohio. Sometimes -20°F ( Back in 1994 ). The avarage low is about 17°F at the coldest.

S. purpurea subsp. purpurea is a VERY cold hardy plant. Our area regularly expierences temps as low as -25F and in the mountain bogs it is just that much colder. Good luck trying to kill it with too cold of temps.
wink.gif
Hot temps like excessive 80F soil temp might decline it, but air temps can go very high.

Good luck.

Back