Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Have two african clawed frogs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my brothers purchased two very tiny African Clawed Frogs (Xenopus Laevis) for my kids as a surprise gift. They came in little cups as if they were from a carnival. He purchased a nice 5 gallon set up and told me to change the water only when necessary... as if I needed another living thing to care for. I have a smorgasbord of food available for them from freeze dried bloodworms to actual aquatic frog food and Wardley's flake fish food. We have had them for 3 weeks so far and I have only changed the water once a week. I used plain old bottled spring water. Does any one have any pearls of wisdom to share with me so that Squirt and whatever the other one's name is don't go to frog heaven before their time? Thank you, Laura

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I worked for a tropical fish wholesaler, way back when, we just put them in a 20 gallon tank and fed them frozen bloodworms. They didn't even need any floating material to hop onto. So if you get a small tank set up, with pump and sponge filter, you should be just fine. We didn't do more for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whatdoya mean by a small sponge filter? I can go pick one up real quick today before the blizzard hits our area.

We have ponds with skimmers and bio filters and freshwater aquariums with all kinds of filters but I am not familiar with small sponge filters. Gotta brand name to make it easy on me when I go to PetSmart? This is a 5 gallon tank and the froggies get it pretty messy by the time the week is up.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Does any one have any pearls of wisdom to share with me so that Squirt and whatever the other one's name is don't go to frog heaven before their time?
    Keep them away from the nepenthes and sarracenias. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't remember the brand names, but they are sold in pet shops - circular, square, triangular... Somebody help me out... Hagen? You hook up pump tubing to it, from the pump, and it sucks the impurities from the water, going through the nitrogen cycle.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laura, sponge filters are easy to spot at the pet store because they are the cheapest filters imaginable. They don't plug into anything except an air pump; the bubbles flowing through the filter draw water through a little Brillo-pad looking thing that filters it biologically. I don't remember brand names (it's been a long time since I kept an aquarium small enough for one of those filters) but, basically, it should be the only one there that doesn't have any electrical parts.
    Best of luck,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have several spare whisper pumps around here and maybe one of them is small enough but if not... no biggie as I have to go back again and check at PetSmart for the small sponge filter. I guess I didn't know what I was looking for. It's been a long time since we've had an aquarium that size too. Funny how we forget that even the simplest filter is quite capable of doing a perfectly fine job. I will pick one up and I can easily jump start it by squeezing out some beneficial bacteria from one of my larger filter mediums in an established tank and let's see if I can get some nice Chemolitotroph and Heterotroph bacterias going in the little 5 gallon for Squirt and WebFoot.

I have to admit that all of you are slipping. It may be a small set up but it does provide a nice opportunity to start an aquatic utric. Any suggestions for 70F water with natural light?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U. gibba seems to be the most mentioned as an aquatic.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast