What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes hamata 2009 seedlings . . .

I finally found some old photos that had been shot on Kodachrome (late great slide film for any of you ankle-biters) -- and thought that I'd scan a few -- including those of N. hamata seedlings from 2009, grown in a media of milled sphagnum and sand.

Nepenthes hamata -- 6.09

NHAMATA2-1.jpg

you have progress pics David? looking forward to seeing those! :D
hahaha. cute little buggers. looks like the same size when i got my hamata from AW. XD

aww! babies! cute!

you have progress pics David? looking forward to seeing those! :D
hahaha. cute little buggers. looks like the same size when i got my hamata from AW. XD

Here is a shot, taken in April of one of the plants:

Nepenthes hamata

NHMAM.jpg

thanks for the updated pic Dave. while i might try to get a seed grown hamata in the future, i guess i will be satisfied with my TC clone...for now. hahaha.

Those available any time soon?

Spectacular BigB. You surely deserve to get your hands on these rare seed as your growing skills are impeccable. Glad to see them in great hands.

Woow! Excellent growing big bella, just curious, where did you got those seeds?

Regards

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I lived overseas for a time and had and maintained some contacts who could obtain Nepenthes seeds from time to time, though I was never sure precisely when; so it's always fun to get an envelope from Japan or even Vietnam with a stapled square of bibulous paper -- often accompanied by an obscene, obnoxious card. Needless to say, I keep a bunch of stuff on-hand; as Foghorn Leghorn would say, "for just such an emergency."

In answer to a PM (which was accidentally deleted -- full box -- sorry): since I don't reliably know how fresh the seeds are, I generally treat some with gibberellic acid for twelve hours, plant some outright in milled sphagnum and sand, (as seen in the photo), and aseptically germinate a few in weak tissue culture media, to cover all bases.

The germination success rate -- all said -- has been about 75% . . .

Last edited:
Well done! Can't imagine what it would be like to see a sea of hamata seedlings. That must be a sight to behold! I love the coloration on the latest pic. It looks different from most clones I have seen.

It is very encouraging to know that there are increasingly more genetically unique hamatas out there.

Back