What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

starting a bunch of seeds.....one question

An1matr0n1k

Brandon
feeding? im starting them indoors under lights and was thinking about feeding? would trichoderma be a good idea? or are they fine with nothing?

What species are you growing?

Almost all cps do not need to be fed, though it certainly speeds up their growth.

alabamensis, jonesii, and oreophila

Water and light is what seedlings need right now.

This is a good paper to read but be careful not to overdo it. If you have enough to experiment with (I always grow some with nothing but water and lights and they do fine), I would stick to methods recommended in this paper.

Read this
Sarracenia soil fertilization (Brittnacher, John (2009) Soil fertilization of Sarracenia seedlings. Carniv. Pl. Newslett. 38(2):36-41 )

If you're going to fertilize use a 1/4 diluted orchid fertilizer sprayed lightly over the leaves ones a week. I'd wait until they have 3 pitchers or so to do this.

Here is a link to that article.. I found it very useful.. just get the pink topped osomocote, not the green.. http://www.carnivorousplants.org/howto/Feeding/SarraceniaFertilization.php

Thanks for posting Brie. That is what I have used for years with great results. It is called outdoor/indoor with pink cap. I read the actual journal article referenced within that webpage and at the end of the journal article he recommends the pink capped stuff. I'll see if I can find it later today. Don't have time now. I made sure to stick to the recommended # of pellets per square volume or size of cell and I always leave some without as a reference.

Back