What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Triangle Lake Bog trip (lots of pictures!)

hello everyone!

here's a few pics from my trip to Triangle Lake Bog in Ohio.

IMG_5013.jpg

IMG_5012.jpg

leftbog.jpg

rightbog.jpg

are these cut flower stalks a sign of seed poaching?
IMG_5000.jpg

IMG_4965.jpg

IMG_4970.jpg

IMG_4967.jpg

IMG_4939.jpg

these were the only sundews i found this year...
IMG_4943.jpg

this little guy was watching me...
hiddenfriend.jpg

IMG_4948.jpg

IMG_4950.jpg

he/she let me get pretty close even!
IMG_4954.jpg

overall there seemed to be a good number of new and old flowers here. hopefully it's an indication that this population will continue to be around for decades to come. more plant and flower pictures from the bog can be found at: http://s658.photobucket.com/albums/uu301/technoracer/Triangle Lake Bog/

peace!
tech...

Seemed like a fun trip. The stalks were neatly cut diagnolly, so it might be possible they were poached. OR, the people who work there might have taken the seeds and sowed for protectiong...or something like that.

Very nice. I guess someone might have been taking seed or maybe seed pods for a flower arrangement kind of thing. That's less distressing with S. purp, given how widespread the species is, but it's still annoying.

I love that snake, he's smiling. :D

aww
reminds me of the black racer snakes back in florida

Interesting pics, thanks for sharing.

The sign in your 2nd pic mentions the progression of the bog/lake. "... "eye' of the bog will disappear and be replaced by a community of typical bog plants." When I was growing up, there was a bog whose 'eye' had disappeared and the center of the bog contained a mat of sphagnum - filled with S. purpurea ssp purpurea. It was quite the experience to get out to the center area but well worth it. Several years ago, I went back 'home' and decided to go back & visit the purps again. After 3-4 hours of hiking through some of the thickest, nastiest tangles of brush I've seen, I climbed one of the small trees to confirm what my inner voice was screaming at me - the middle had grown over with thick brush & small trees. The purps were extirpated. The mat of vegetation still 'quaked' but the habitat for CPs was gone. I continued to search in the hope that one or 2 plants might still be clinging to life in the shade but failed to find anything at all that resembled a CP or suitable CP habitat. Apparently, once the 'eye' closes over, the successional process picks up speed..... All those purps - - extinct. :cry:

Back