What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Modified approach to germinating seeds

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Some people like to put moist media in a baggie and sprinkle the seeds. After germination they transfer the media to a pot. I am putting a pot with the moist media and sprinkled seeds in a sealed baggie. When the germinate I just remove the baggie.

I used to germinate in pots in baggies.

Now I get a bunch of the small deli/fast food restaurant condiment containers with lids. Fill it with moist chopped long fiber sphagnum and sow the seeds and snap on the lid. If they need cold stratification the go into the fridge. After the seeds germinate and grow 3 or 4 true leaves I'll poke holes in the lid with a pin. After they grow to a manageble size I repot them.

I'll still use pots for species that don't like root disturbance like Byblis or pygmy sundews.

I germinate many Drosera seeds in a cup of RO water. Makes it easier for me to see their progress.

I germinate many Drosera seeds in a cup of RO water. Makes it easier for me to see their progress.
I like this method also. I don't have to worry about soil drying or whether or not the seeds have sprouted, or algae sliming up the pot.

I used to germinate in pots in baggies.

Now I get a bunch of the small deli/fast food restaurant condiment containers with lids. Fill it with moist chopped long fiber sphagnum and sow the seeds and snap on the lid. If they need cold stratification the go into the fridge. After the seeds germinate and grow 3 or 4 true leaves I'll poke holes in the lid with a pin. After they grow to a manageble size I repot them.

I'll still use pots for species that don't like root disturbance like Byblis or pygmy sundews.

I like this because it gets them acclimated to being exposed to the air.

Could someone describe the process of germinating in distilled RO water? Do you just fill a small cup w/ the water and then stick in some seeds? Is it that easy?

I like this because it gets them acclimated to being exposed to the air.

Just poke more/bigger holes in the lid or unsnap the lid and slide it progressively wider open to harden off the seedlings.

Could someone describe the process of germinating in distilled RO water? Do you just fill a small cup w/ the water and then stick in some seeds? Is it that easy?
In a word "Yep!"

Today I decided to put seeds in a small plastic container of bleach water. I watched the dye trail, as always, and tried dealing with the wet seeds by pouring the bulk of them into a coffee filter that was in the holder. Then I pressed on the release thingy and the water drained out. I "chased" the rest of the seeds into the filter with a spray bottle and rinsed the bleach water through. Then I held the filter over the pot. Lastly, I used the spray bottle to again chase the seeds into the pot. That was the easiest and most effective way of getting the seeds into the pot.

Back