What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Capensis Red

How does D. capensis "red" form turn fully red? Does it come with age/maturity or intense light?

I have a small baby one under some light but its still staying green like my normal D. capensis and I would like it to turn red.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Light mainly I would guess. I have a couple that were red all spring and summer but turned green in the fall and have stayed that way. I'm waiting to see if they will redden up again. They only get afternoon sun.

yeah, it's mainly light. I have pretty intense lighting right now, and my 4 mo. old typical cape seedlings are actually turning a bright shade of red.

Yeah, they really need good lighting. I had a plant turn red in direct sun but under artificial lighting became green again. But now I have a baby plant under the light but by the glass windows. It is still red.

Picture129.jpg

100_0580.jpg

IMG_0047-1.jpg

DCP_1983.jpg

I found out that D. capensis 'red' does not turn red under light unless they're really intense. I had one under lights and turned green, moved it outside and it's now a red, good looking cape. :)

Thanks guys,

Also, do you guys know if my VFTs, Sarracenia and D. filiformis is still alive after being outside when it was -1 degree F? They are in ziplock bags so protected from the wind and not directly outside but on a open window sill.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they didn't dry out they should be ok. Mine are frozen solid but they still are alive because of the moisture.

Back