What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia: Spring 2009

Very nice :) i need to get some flowering sized darlingtonia Ahahaha.

I managed to get mine repotted yesterday. My pots were either too small or too big, so I went with the big one. I had to cheat and use some sand/peat in the bottom. The rest is all LFS and perlite with some live on top. The pot it was in is the smaller one, I now have some native wetland iris' in it until I have the time to give them a more permanent home. The cobra itself looks terrible. The roots still look good, and the rhizome is still firm. I don't know if it'll come out of it or not. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

Keep your fingers crossed that they are just dormant and will come out of it fine and dandy. The increased room will probably make them happier.

The photos in this thread on the ICPS board will give you a detailed look at Darlingtonia californica flower anatomy. Quite a bit different from Sarracenia. These photos should aid you in collecting pollen and hand pollination.

You can see how recessed the anthers are. The openings in the petals are too small for the average European honey bee.

http://icps.proboards105.com/index.cgi?board=darlingtonia&action=display&thread=1845

Back