What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello, I have been growing carnivorous plants for a while now, it was probably 40 years ago when I lost my first Venus flytrap because I was a kid and didn't know they needed a dormancy, our hard tap water probably didn't help either.

I'm gonna guess I have been growing nepenthes for 10 years now, I started growing them about a year before Fredrik Meijer Gardens (here in Mi.) opened up the carnivorous room and I got to meet Peter D'Amato from savage gardens and got my first nepenthes Rokko plant. I still have a cutting growing from that same plant.

Now I want to take it to the next level and try seed propagation (I got bored of cuttings) I just purchased a couple of nepenthes Belli last week. Problem is I just figured out both plants are probably cuttings from the same parent and will be the same sex :-( in fact I have a feeling I might have a hard time finding a male & female nepenthes Bellii. I want to grow smaller nepenthes that will grow in a 55 gallon tank as Michigan winters are very dry (furnaces tend to try out the house) I have a few other small nepenthes lined up that I would like to play with.

Anyways, I like what I see & read here, good stuff.
Dan

Welcome!

Shoot me a PM or email Dan. I live just outside of MSU..

welcome! i currently live in grand rapids, and have volunteered at frederik meijer gardens many times!

welcome! i currently live in grand rapids, and have volunteered at frederik meijer gardens many times!

Is Steve Lewere still there ? My memory thinks that was his last name, he tought me a lot about nepenthes. When did they open that carnivorous room ? Must be 10 years now ??? I met Steve before it was open to the public, he showed me the propagation room for the carnivorous plants, I thought I died & went to heaven ! That was before the display was up & going, I imagine the carnivorous greenhouse propagation room is smaller now.

Dan

Welcome! I spent time in Ann Arbor in grad school... it reminds me wonderfully of home :) (home is VT despite living in SD now)

Welcome to TF :wave:

Born and raised in Michigan and am still yet to make it over to the gardens. :down:

Thanks for the warm welcome ! I too was born & raised here in Michigan.
Dan

Welcome to TF!

Born and raised in Michigan and am still yet to make it over to the gardens. :down:

Shameful, Travis! :nono:

Go hit the Gardens last weekend of January. You can tour the conservatories (can't remember how much that costs these days) and -- if the spirit moves you -- hit the annual orchid show (that part is free) all in one fell swoop.

smiley529.gif

Hey, some other grand rapidians here! Nice!

Welcome Dan! My mom lives in Michigan so I had to head up to the Frederik Meijer gardens on one of my many trips. Very impressive carnivorous plant display! Anybody ever go to the Atlanta botanical gardens? Words can not describe...the sheer amount of cultivars, varieties, hybrids and species inside and out will simply leave you speachless. :0o: and :drool: is all I could do.

Tim

Funny you should be in Pittsburgh with Michigan ties, Tim. I live in Michigan with Pittsburg ties. LOL

merrychristmasemoticon.gif

Good Lord.. how many Michiganders do we have around here? Why don't we have a club or a society of some sort?

Welcome from the UP!

I wasn't aware those gardens were in GR. May have to make a trip down there this summer or somethin...

I've only been in CA for 4 years now. Been in Michigan for the other 47. :)

Welcome Dan

Back